I am planning to produce some (rapid) eLearning (.ppt + audio) for Global consumption off a publically available, paying eCommerce site.
I seem to remember from a few years back when I worked in a large US corporation that there are requirements in US to have the slides/audio matched exactly, (or something similar...) by Notes/a script, so that hearing imparied and visually impaired can get the same experience.
What is the legal requirement here, (if any), for the US market?
Thanks
(NOTE - this is a repost of a question I also asked on Masie's "Learning Town")

Views: 46

Replies to This Discussion

Bruce,

ADA requirements can be confusing at times and depending on your client's expectation, you're responsibility could vary.

When dealing with audio, I've found that if I provide a script of the audio accessible via a link on the interface (e..g, Audio Script link at the bottom nav bar), that was acceptable. I say this assuming you have ALT Text for your GUI and graphics.

I found it best to specify in a high-level design document and sample how exactly I was going to address the ADA issue.

Hope this helps.

David A. Ealy, Ed.D.
www.davidealytechnologies.com
703-361-5814
Many thanks David.
Here's the issue - there's no "client" per se - we are just going to create them, and launch on a website, so anyone Globally, (theoretically, and hopefully), could take them. So - my client is "The World", (I was always told to broaden my horizons.... :-) )
The plan is that all will have the slides, with audio matching / close to slide, and then the option of "Notes/Script" is there, all people have to do is to click a button to see them.
Sorry - but I do not know what you mean by ALT Text - would you please explain/clarify?
Bruce
Hey, Bruce

Technically, you are under no obligation to create an ADA compliant product. I would strongly recommend from a business standpoint, though, that you familiarize yourself with the basics.

The ADA is big. The ocean is damp. These are equal understatements. While we in the online content business tend, rightly, to think of the ADA in terms of how it affects our project design, we are in fact nearly an afterthought of the ADA. The ADA encompasses issues ranging from airport design and parking considerations to vehicle specifications and public park signage. The ADA is big.

In many ways your job would be considerably easier regarding ADA if you were building an airport. The rules and requirements are fairly well laid out for most every aspect of the job. For online content, the rules are less specific. For the longest time we've been plagued with language recommending that we use "sufficient contrast" to accommodate viewers with diminished sight. Or make "reasonable effort" to provide alternate means of access to content. With no objective method of measuring our success, we've had to come up with our own design and analysis methodologies and hope that they, along with our good will and noble intentions, would suffice.

I just realized I'm rambling. Sorry. Here comes the short answer:

The ADA is applicable in The United States of America. Your content is not required to be compliant. However, if an employer makes viewing of training content a mandatory condition of employment, then that material must either be compliant or there must be alternative compliant methods of delivering the material. On some projects I have determined that the best alternative was to create a braille version of the content for distribution to those who requested it. There is no hard and fast rule (yet) and each project must be examined from a number of positions to determine the best approach for accessibility. I know this doesn't answer your question, but it's the best I can do in a couple of minutes.

Here's a link to more on the issue:

Introduction to Web Accessibility

Hope this helps.

-Thom
Watchman - that is fantastic, thanks. I guess it is a little like "The Pirates of the Caribbean", where Keira Knightley says "..The PiratesCode, ...it's more like a set of guidelines anyway..." ;-)
That's a huge help, and I appreciate it - not rambling at all.
Thanks again.
My experience has been that the words do not have to match what you have on your slides. As a matter of fact, in you notes section of PowerPoint, you can put your speaking script which expands on the bullets on the screen. Those who are hearing impaired will be able to read your script and benefit from the visual and "audio" without losing comprehension.

Wayne

RSS

© 2014   Created by NewMediaSocial.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Live Support Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...